NORTHERN LIGHTS & ARCTIC LANDSCAPES
Improve your photography & experience the magical Arctic landscapes & Northern Lights in Svalbard with Travel Photographer of the Year and Hurtigruten
- Breathtaking landscape of the Svalbard Peninsula
- Winter landscapes, skyscapes & changing polar light
- Northern Lights and lowlight photography
- Ice cave & glacier
- Two trip date/fitness level options - 23rd Feb to 1st March 2019 (7 days) or 2nd to 9th March 2019 (8 days)
- Photography level - any
- For full trip details, prices and itinerary please go to the page on the Hurtigruten website - Pure Spitsbergen
- Click to DOWNLOAD THE TRIP BROCHURE
If you're short on time but have always dreamt of seeing and photographing the Northern Lights then this adventure is for you. Flights from London to the wild landscape of Svalbard makes a short break possible, with six or seven nights based in Longyearbyen, staying at the charismatic Coal Miners' Cabins.
This superb photography tour is arranged by licensed UK-based tour operator Hurtigruten, with tuition from Travel Photographer of the Year founder Chris Coe and former editor of Practical Photography Andrew James. They will show you how to photograph the Northern Lights and also give you tuition in how to photograph the landscapes, low-light photography and painting with light. Chris and Andrew will also be on hand to give you individual tuition as and when you want it.
Svalbard is wild country and there are more polar bears on Svalbard than there are people. February and March sees the return of the sun after the almost continual darkness of the Arctic winter. The light is majestic at this time, with snowy mountains bathed in pink light, giving us plenty of opportunity to photograph the snowy landscape and to explore Svalbard. As well as hunting the Northern Lights we'll be visiting the ice cave, and you'll also have the chance to go dog sledding and or on a snowmobile safari as an optional extra.
There are two options for this trip:
- 23rd February to 1st March 2019 (six nights)
- 2nd March to 9th March 2019 (seven nights). This slightly longer trip includes a mountain hike and snowshoe glacier crossing requiring a good level of fitness as it's more strenuous than the first.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- How to get the most from your camera and lenses
- Understanding light & how to control it
- Composition & how to add impact to your images
- Exposure & how to meter light accurately
- Photographing the Northern Lights, low light photography and painting with light
- Photographing the Arctic landscape
Cost and how you book or reserve a place?
Travel to Spitsbergen (Norway) is easy and the standard of living is high. All accommodation and service is of a high standard. The 7 night trip is more strenuous and requires a good level of fitness. If you are not fit or mobile then please choose the 6 night trip.
Included in the tour price are:
- Flights from London to Longyearbyen and back to London (inc. taxes, charges and transfers).
- Accommodation (6 or 7 nights) and breakfast at the Coal Miners' Cabins, Longyearbyen
- Daily talks, group tuition and one-to-one tuition by Chris Coe (on both trips) and Andrew James (on 8 day trip)
- 6 or 7 nights with a chance to photograph the Northern Lights
- 2 days with personal guide on Snow Cat excursions to Arctic Landscape and Ice Cave
- Free time for your own photography or to take excursions
Not included: travel insurance, optional excursions, luggage handling, gratuities
The tour price, including all of the above, from £1842pp (first departure - 6 nights) and £2,208pp (second departure - 7 nights with snowshoe hike on glacier).
The whole trip is organised by Hurtigruten, and the trip will be booked direct through them.
FOR FURTHER DETAILS OR TO BOOK:
Tel: +44 (0) 20 8846 2666
Hurtigruten are a licensed UK based tour operator and you are financially protected as per their terms and conditions. Their ATOL license number is ATOL 3584 and their ABTA number V7545. Hurtigruten is a company registered in England & Wales with company number 02865967.
Slideshow image credits: All images © Chris Coe (UK)
PHOTO TOUR HIGHLIGHTS
7 day / 6 night trip
23rd February to 1st March 2019
- Small group - max 16 people with two tutors
- Group & individual tuition
- Two tutors dedicated to helping you with your photography
- Unhurried itinerary with time to develop your photography
- Breathtaking scenery
- Winter landscapes
- Daylight & Polar light
- Low-light photography
- Night sky photography
- Technique & Composition
PHOTO TOUR HIGHLIGHTS
8 day / 7 night trip
2nd March to 9th March 2019
- Same as 6 night trip except the activities are more strenuous
- Additional snowshoe hike on the Longbyer Glacier
- Andrew James joins Chris as your tutors
Price from: £1842pp* for six night, £2208pp* for seven nights (including flights)
"I would definitely recommend the trip to anyone who asked, as it was a magical place to learn about taking photographs.
I really enjoyed my trip and learned a lot from your tuition - you put me at ease and helped me achieve some terrific pictures.
It was good to get out and take photos under really difficult conditions and your suggestions for camera familiarisation have been really useful.
I used your composition tips to help choose some of my competition entries at my Photographic Society – and won!"