Why Enter TPOTY?
Showcase your images to the world through our international media coverage and exhibitions
Whether you're a professional photographer or have only recently started taking pictures, or whether you're a keen amateur or are hoping to start a career in photography, there are lots of good reasons to enter Travel Photographer of the Year...
- Winners get fantastic exposure for their work - from international media coverage to being featured on the TPOTY website and in our exhibitions and books and merchandise. We’ve also helped negotiate usage fees for images which buyers have found through the awards - for example, two years after her success in Young Travel Photographer of the Year 2009, we secured a five-figure usage fee for one of Courtney Krawec's Young TPOTY-winning images. She used this unexpected bonus to buy her dream camera and pay her college fees ,and this usage fee was renewed the following year too.
- It's fun! Having to shoot to fit one of the category themes, or to look again at your existing images to see what would fit a theme is a great way to get a new perspective on your work.
- It's challenging - can you shoot to a brief? Can you make your images tell a story or capture a special moment in just one shot?
- You don't need an expensive camera to take part. We even have a special category for images taken on mobile phones or tablets.
- You don't need to be a professional photographer - TPOTY is open to everyone, young and old, amateur or professional and from every country in the world.
- You could win some amazing prizes! Thanks to our very supportive sponsors we have some brilliant prizes, including the latest professional-level cameras and lenses from Fujifilm, trips to Norway with Hurtigruten, outdoor clothing from Páramo, membership of the Royal Photographic Society, gorgeous exhibition prints from Genesis, Photo Iconic tuition or critiques, leather portfolio books from Plastic Sandwich and cash bursaries.
So what are you waiting for? Why not ENTER NOW?
Slideshow image credits: Norwegian cyclist © Piotr Trybalski (Poland), Celebration © Darpan Basak (Indonesia); Macaque hand © Johan Siggesson (Sweden)
Since winning TPOTY, my business has doubled and I am getting a lot of worldwide recognition. It was like my work suddenly had legitimacy and a large audience. My work featured in major photo magazines and newspapers around the globe and people began buying my prints. My book orders tripled, stock photo requests doubled and I was suddenly being asked to give seminars across Canada. Visits to my website increased ten-fold, I was asked to do several assignments, and my workshops booked up faster than ever before.
Darwin Wiggett, winner, Travel Photographer of the Year 2008