- Posted by Karen Coe
- On 13th April 2020
- 0 Comments
In a break with tradition, we are announcing the categories ahead of opening the Travel Photographer of the Year awards this year, to allow those of you who may have plenty of time on your hands – owing to the unprecedented circumstances in which we all find ourselves – to start reviewing the images you have taken in recent years and see what could work with our 2020 categories.
The 2020 TPOTY awards will open for entry on May 4th. We would like to stress that we are not encouraging any potential entrants to go out to take photographs for this year’s competition whilst travel restrictions are in place. We have always accepted images from people’s archives, and want everybody to remain safe and to respect any lockdown or other restrictions that exist in the country in which they are living.
In recognition of the fact that, for most of us, COVID-19 has also had significant financial consequences, when we do open for entries, any entry fees will be discounted by 50% for the months of May and June.
OVERALL WINNER – THE TRAVEL PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR 2020
The Travel Photographer of the Year 2020 will be the photographer aged 19 and over who submits the best eight images across the portfolio categories:
- Landscapes & Earth Elements: Landscapes and/or their elements – earth, air, fire, water, sunshine, storms, lightning etc (4 images per portfolio))
- Nature, Sealife & Wildlife: The living natural world on land, in the air and in the water (4 images per portfolio)
- People of the World: People and their cultures and traditions (4 images per portfolio)
- Travel Folio: Your best travel images (8 images per portfolio)
ONE SHOT SINGLE IMAGE CATEGORIES
- Colours of Life: A celebration of colour along the road from journey to destination
- Islands: The uniqueness of island life and landscape
- Solitude: Remote, peaceful or isolated places and solitary adventures
SMART SHOT – for single images taken on a smartphone or tablet
YOUNG TRAVEL PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR 2020 – For photographers aged 18 and under
- My Travel Album (portfolios of 4 images)
We know that many of you enjoy the challenge of reviewing your images and editing portfolios to meet TPOTY category briefs, and we hope to see entries from you in due course, if you feel able to take part this year. Please do not try to submit any images before we open entries on May 4th.
In the meantime, we wish you all good health and urge you all to stay as safe as you can.
Featured image: © Kiran Ridley